Physical education experts and researchers agree that physical activity offers children benefits beyond those for their bodies.
The mental health benefits – improved management of anxiety and depression – are significant, but school-age children can particularly benefit from regular physical activity, which has been shown to improve:
- Classroom functioning
- Mood and behavior
Poppy Life Care has partnered with Pure Game to help impact children’s physical and mental health through the power of play.
Pure Game Founder and “Chief Play Maker” Tony Everett says that he started Pure Game because he wanted kids to enjoy sports, but instead of focusing on a traditional sporting model, Pure Game intentionally focuses on “the power of positivity, encouragement, free play, games, character education and leadership skills.”
No access to a soccer field or large play area? No worries! With Pure Game’s Remote Recess videos, you can view activities that can be performed in your house, driveway or a small backyard!
Below are a few to try out; more Remote Recess videos are available on Pure Game’s website.
Check out some of the Pure Game’s Remote Recess Videos
Character Trait: Communication
- Create an obstacle course; use household items.
- One person will be blind-folded and the other one will be the communicator.
- The communicator cannot touch, the blind-folded teammate throughout the course, they can only speak to their teammate.
- They will work together to get their partner through the obstacle course as fast as possible.
- The first pair that completes the course the fastest wins the game.
Remote Recess Blindfold Relay-With Field Champion Alex Trujillo
Remote Recess–Workout With volunteer Zack
Leg Workout Exercises:
- Squat Jumps
- Jumping Lunges
Five exercise that involve: core, strength, and cardio Exercise:
- Ball Jumps
- Side Twist
- Drop Squats
- Ball Touch
Remote Recess Soccer Ball Workout-With Field Champion Israel Diaz
Remote Recess Fruits and Vegetables-With Field Champion Jose Valente
Character Trait: Self-control
- Have the kids in a single line facing the leader.
- The leader will say a fruit and a vegetable.
- If the answer is a fruit the kids step to their left side.
- If the answer is a vegetable the kids step to their right side.
- Instead of fruits and vegetables, the leader can say quick math questions.
- Side shuffle
- One footed jump
- Up and back
- Star Jump
- Bear Crawl
Remote Recess Fruits and Vegetables-With Field Champion Michael Ingraham
Remote Recess: Tic-Tac-Toe-With Field Champion Joy Fawcett
Character Trait: Self-control & Stop, Think, Act, Reflect (STAR)
- Get into two teams.
- Gather a few items, to set on the ground for a grid. (Shoes, spoons, pillows).
- One team has 3 items that represent X, (towels, t-shirts, red legos).
- Other team also has 3 items to represent O, (socks, blue legos, shorts).
- Set a starting point; you can only carry 1 item at a time.
- Drop the item then race back to get another item.
- Race to get 3 in a row!
Simple drills everyone can practice. Try your best and have fun with it! Drills:
- Zig Zag Dribble
- Quick Feet
- Juggling Challenge
- Pass and Move
- Touch and Go 6. Out and Back
- Footwork Square
Remote Recess: Soccer Drills-With Field Champion Danny Torres and Pete Torres
Remote Recess: Plank Soccer-With Field Champion Joy Fawcett
Character Trait: Creativity
- Two people will get in a plank position facing each other.
- Your arms will serve as the goal.
- Start with a t-shirt or towel on the floor between the people.
- On “Go” both do a push-up and try to grab the shirt.
- The person who gets the shirt first will then try to score on the other person.
- The person being scored on can use one arm to block the shirt.
- If the shirt makes it past the arms, it’s the other’s person turn.
- First to 3 wins!
Do each exercise for 30 seconds.
Rest for 30 seconds before moving on to the next exercise.
- Pogo Jumps
- Plank with shoulder tap
- Sit-ups Complete 3-5 sets.
Remote Recess: Full Body Workout-With Field Champion Israel Diaz
Remote Recess Jump Rope Mashup-With Field Champion Tiffany Neptune
Character Trait: Cooperation/Teamwork and Communication
- Find your large open space and then collect your jump rope.
- Decide which games you are going to play. The goal is to not get touched by the rope, timing is key! a. Jaws of the lion: swing rope up and over towards the person jumping, they run under the rope. b. Swinging vine: swing the rope back and forth (not going overhead) and the person either jumps over or crawls under the rope. c. Snake: wiggle the rope touching the ground back and forth very quickly to replicate a slithering snake and the person jumps over the rope.
- There are two ways to score points when the jumper gets touched by the rope, either the whole team loses all collective points and returns to 0, or the whole team loses only 1 point. Keep track of points.
- Assign two people to start as rope holders, one at each end of the rope, and have the other players line up to jump.
- The person jumping gets to choose which game they want.
- After each team jumps then switch to holding rope.
- Once the team collectively reaches the points goal you win!
Character Trait: Teamwork and Encouragement
- Work as a team on how fast can you touch the cards with your foot #1-30.
- You’ll need to create cards with writing one number on each card.
- Layout the cards or paper numbers all mixed up in space on the floor.
- Only 1 person can touch a card at a time.
- Starting with card #1, step on it and then the next person will step on the next number continuing until you reach #30.
- If you are playing by yourself, time your record or if you are playing with 2 people see who gets the fastest time.
Remote Recess Index Card Game-With Field Champion Joy Fawcett
Zip Zap Zop
Character: Creativity, Focus, and Comfort zone
- Stand in a circle.
- Have kids practice “Zip, Zap, Zop”.
- One person starts by clapping and pointing to someone as they say “Zip”.
- The person they pointed to now has to point to someone else saying “Zap”.
- Continues in a pattern “Zip, Zap, Zop”.
- If a player says a word out of order or takes too long, they are out.
- Get creative when you call out the word and point, it’s fun!
Character Trait: Self-control
- Start by collecting any household items.
- Try to balance them on your head; without letting the item fall to the ground.
- Challenge your family from one spot in the house to the next!
Use your Noggin’!
Character Trait: Fun
Just like bowling, but in your house!
- You just need four or more people to play the game.
- You can’t tag through the triangle, but instead have to go round the two other “corners” who are protecting your target. Have fun!
Remote Recess Triangle Tag
Contact Us to learn more!